H O M E
**As of 9/07/12: Studio currently available!
Great space, 1108 Sq. ft.
Call Asset Management at
510-841-0929 for more
Strawberry Creek Design Center is a community
of creative businesses: architects, artists, craftspeople, movie
& video producers, graphic designers, multimedia & software developers
and other creative startups. It is contained in a renovated complex
of historic landmark buildings at 1250 Addison Street
Berkeley. It overlooks
a park and sits alongside Strawberry Creek, which was unearthed
from culverts and restored to its natural state.
small bakery-café faces the park where neighbors and people
from the Center can gather. Mother's and their kids play in
the park. Elderly people from the senior center walk to the café for tea.
Architects and artists meet with their clients in the café.
Teachers and parents from the nearby Montessori school stop by to get a coffee
and chat with their friends. Workers from the complex and
neighbors take lunch on the grass.
The complex has been completely renovated
and converted into smaller office and studio spaces for design
professionals, craftspeople, artists, video producers, software
developers and the others. It provides a lively and affordable
environment that has stimulated and nurtured many creative enterprises
and startup businesses. Over 40 small businesses operate there,
employing over 100 people. During Pro Arts Open Studios it
more participants than any other complex in the East Bay.
The building is a historic landmark. Its
renovation was honored with an award for outstanding adaptive
reuse by the Berkeley Architectural Heritage Association. Over
the years the complex housed Cooper Woodworking, the Sperry Flour
Company, the American Photoplayer Company and various other industrial
and manufacturing enterprises. The industries declined and in
1987 Huck Rorick & Phil Lovett renovated the complex and adapted
it for reuse as the Strawberry Creek Design Center. The building
received full seismic reinforcement which was carefully done in
a manner that preserves the historical character and aesthetics
of the buildings. No changes are visible in the façade and interior
changes were done in the style of the building. Most people don't
know that it has been retrofitted.
Huck Rorick & Phil Lovett cooperated in
the design and construction of the Design Center with Huck taking
the lead in design and Phil in construction.